Jay J. Schuttert is a go-to trial lawyer whose lead and co-lead trial experience includes numerous jury trials in federal and state courts in Nevada and around the country for product manufacturers and corporations, involving claims of serious illness, catastrophic injury and/or wrongful death. As a founder of Evans Fears & Schuttert LLP, Jay’s practice is primarily focused on defending product liability matters for manufacturers of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, automobiles, motorcycles, consumer/recreational products, and industrial equipment. Jay also handles premises liability, vehicle/trucking collisions, medical malpractice, commercial disputes, and employment matters.
Trial & Litigation Experience
- Pharmaceutical/Medical Devices – defense of domestic and foreign manufacturers of pharmaceuticals and medical devices in mass tort and catastrophic injury actions
- Mass & Toxic Torts – defense of domestic and foreign manufacturers in chemical, herbicide/pesticides, asbestos, and benzene exposure actions
- Automotive Products – defense of rollover, crashworthiness, post-collision fire cases for domestic and foreign automobile manufacturers, motorcycle manufacturers, and off-road utility vehicle manufacturers
- Consumer/Industrial Products – defense of manufacturers of various products including industrial equipment, elevators/escalators, plumbing components, firearms, and amusement attractions
- Tort Litigation – defense of premises liability, trucking and automobile collisions, and medical malpractice actions
- Commercial Litigation – defense of contract, consumer fraud, and subrogation actions
- Served as lead trial counsel for an automotive manufacturer in a 3-week jury trial, involving claims of catastrophic injury from defectively designed seat in a sport utility vehicle.
- Served as trial counsel for an automotive manufacturer in a 4-week jury trial, involving claims of wrongful death from a defectively designed roof in a sport utility vehicle
- Served as a member of the trial team for an herbicide manufacturer in one of the first jury trials in a high-profile mass tort action, involving a popular weed and grass killer.
- Served as a member of several trial teams for a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a high-profile mass tort litigation, involving hormone replacement therapy.
- Served as a key member of the defense team for a medical device manufacturer in a high-profile mass tort action, involving a contraceptive implant device.
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Legal Elite – Top Southern Nevada Attorneys, Nevada Business Magazine (2015, 2016, 2018)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, Personal Injury Defense (2012-2016)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Product Liability Defense (2019-2022)
- The Product Liability Lawyers, Nevada Product Liability Lawyer of the Year (2023)
Presentations & Publications
“Keeping Out of the Weeds: Defense Should Focus On Winning Liability Instead of Damages at Trial,” Co-Author, Nevada Lawyer Magazine (January 2017)
Other Professional Experience
Snell & Wilmer LLP, Las Vegas, Nevada – Partner, Product Liability Litigation
CONTACT JAY J. SCHUTTERT
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Mass & Toxic Torts
- Pharmaceutical/Medical Devices
- Automotive Products
- Consumer/Industrial Products
- Tort Litigation Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2003)
- Associate Editor, Syracuse Law and Technology Journal
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- University of Rhode Island (B.S., Business Management, highest distinction, 1999)
- Beta Gamma Sigma
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Defense Research Institute
- Supreme Court of Nevada
- United States District Court, District of Nevada
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit