Lee Mickus defends manufacturers and other business interests in product liability and tort lawsuits around the country, guiding cases through the discovery, trial, and appeal stages. He has successfully tried cases to juries in Colorado, Texas, California, New York, Puerto Rico, Montana and several other states.
Trial & Litigation Experience
- Lee has handled cases involving a wide variety of industries and products, including automobiles, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, industrial machinery, wine and recreational equipment. Lee has made court appearances, argued appeals, and submitted amicus briefs in numerous jurisdictions across the country.
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Colorado Super Lawyers®, Personal Injury Defense: Products (2009-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (2008-2021); Production Liability Litigation – Defendants (2015-2021)
- 5280 Magazine Top Lawyers, Personal Injury: Defense (2015-2021)
- Lawyers for Civil Justice Outstanding Contributor (2017)
- Colorado Civil Justice League’s “Lawyer of the Year” (2005)
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rated
- “Gatekeeping Reorientation: Amend Rule 702 to Correct Judicial Misunderstandings about Expert Evidence,” Washington Legal Foundation Working Paper No. 217 (May 2020).
- “Follow Louisiana’s Lead: The Case for Eliminating State Gag Rules on Motorists’ Failure to Buckle Up,” Washington Legal Foundation Working Paper No. 219 (August 2020).
- “Iowa Limits Medical Expense Damages to the Sums Actually Paid to a Plaintiff’s Health Care Provider,” Washington Legal Foundation Legal Opinion Letter (June 26, 2020)(with Marc Beltrame).
- “Depublication effort fails to obscure ruling that encourages close scrutiny of fee requests,” Los Angeles & San Francisco Daily Journal (Feb. 10, 2020).
- Opening the Courts to Seat Belt Non-Use Evidence,” Author, Law 360 Expert Analysis Online Website (December 24, 2015)
- “Fifty-State Compendium on the Law of Punitive Damages,” Contributing Author for Colorado, Defense Research Institute (2009)
- “New Statutes Change Civil Litigation in Colorado,” Co-Author, 33 Colo. Lawyer 65 (May 2004)
- “To Beep or Not to Beep: The Optional Equipment Defense,” Co-Author, 19 LJN’S Product Liability Law & Strategy 4 (April 2001)
- “Discovery of Work Product Disclosed to a Testifying Expert Under the 1993 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Author, 27 Creighton L. Rev. 773 (1994) (cited in five published federal and state court cases and more than a dozen law review articles, and treatises)
Other Professional Experience
Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.
Wheeler Trigg Kennedy PC
CONTACT LEE MICKUS
AREAS OF PRACTICE
National Trial Practice
Product Liability Litigation
- The University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1993)
- Williams College (B.A., cum laude, 1990)
- Exeter College, Oxford University (1988-1989)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Colorado Civil Justice League
- President, 2009-2010; 2015
- Board of Directors
- Legal Advisory Board
- Lawyers for Civil Justice
- Co-Chair, Rule 702 Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- United States Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Colorado
- Supreme Court of Montana
- Supreme Court of Texas
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas
- United States District Court, Western District of Arkansas
- United States District Court, Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Montana
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for Wyoming
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit